· 100 g pearl barley
· 100 g dried green lentils
· 1500 g water
· 2 tsp Vegetable stock paste (see Tip)
· 100 g quinoa
· 100 g pearl couscous
· 3 tbsp slivered almonds
· 1 tsp cumin seeds
· 1 lemon, zested (no white pith) and juiced
· 70 g olive oil
· 2 tsp honey
· 2-3 tsp Dijon mustard, to taste
· salt, to taste
· ground black pepper, to taste
· 80 g currants
· ¼ red cabbage, finely shredded
· 8-10 sprigs fresh coriander, leaves only, roughly chopped
· 8-10 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves only, roughly chopped
· 2 tbsp pickled capers, drained and rinsed (optional)
1 Insert simmering basket into mixing bowl and weigh barley and lentils into it. Remove simmering basket with aid of spatula and rinse until water runs clear.
2 Place water and stock paste into mixing bowl. Insert simmering basket with grains and cook 25 min/100°C/speed 2.
3 Weigh quinoa and couscous into simmering basket with partially cooked grains, stir to combine and cook 10-15 min/100°C/speed 2 or until cooked to your liking.
4 Remove simmering basket with aid of spatula and transfer cooked grains onto a plate. Spread out over plate, then place into refrigerator to cool. Rinse and dry mixing bowl.
5 Place a small frying pan over medium heat and toast almonds and cumin seeds until golden brown (approx. 3-4 minutes). Set aside to cool.
6 Place lemon zest into mixing bowl and chop 5 sec/speed 9. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with aid of spatula.
7 Add oil, honey, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix 1 min/speed 7. Transfer into a serving jug and set aside.
8 Transfer cooled grains into a large serving bowl. Place a bowl onto mixing bowl lid and weigh currants into it. Transfer into large serving bowl with cooled grains. Add cabbage, coriander, parsley and capers (optional) and reserved dressing, then toss to combine. Season to taste, then serve.
· Please refer to The Basic Cookbook or the Everyday Cookbook for the Vegetable stock paste recipe.
Click here for the PDF version of this recipe.
This recipe is featured in our upcoming cookbook Simply Delicious, Family meals for under $5 a serve. Subscribe to our newsletter to be the first to know when Simply Delicious is available at TheMix Shop.
Please visit thermomixfacts.com.au for information on how to enjoy using your Thermomix safely.